Team members who need to create their own Terra Billing projects, or view detailed cost breakdowns, can be added to the Cloud Billing account. Colleagues no longer in the group can be removed.This article walks through adding or removing users to the Cloud Billing account on Google Cloud console.
What can Google Cloud Billing account users do?
It's not necessary to be a user on the Cloud Billing account to do work in Terra! Cloud Billing account users have additional permissions (below) and are typically admins or funding managers.
Create Terra billing projects
If you have access to a Cloud Billing account, you will be able to create Terra Billing projects in your Billing page (https://app.terra.bio/#billing).
Why add collaborators to a Google Cloud Billing account
This approach shares responsibility for billing and gives additional users (beyond the PI, for example) more control over billing and costs, particularly creating separate Terra Billing projects to manage funding.
Note: To enable spend reporting in Terra requires admin or owner privileges on the Cloud Billing account. This step only needs to be done once per Cloud Billing account, so it's not a reason to grant permission to more team members than is necessary.
Disadvantages to adding collaborators to a Google Cloud Billing account
Billing account users have more control; therefore, the process of removing them can be a bit more involved. For example, you need to transfer ownership or remove or disable all their Terra billing projects if they leave the team. You may not be familiar with those projects, although they will show up on your Billing page.
Add users to a Google Cloud Billing account (step by step)
1. Go to Google Cloud Billing ( https://console.cloud.google.com/billing) and click the link for the Cloud Billing account under the My Billing Account column.
2. In the Billing account card (top right), click the Manage link.
3. Select the Add Principals button on the right.
4. In the popup form, add colleague's Terra ID in the Add principals field.
5. Choose how much access they have (assign their role).
6. Click the blue Save button.
What to expect
Creating Terra Billing projects
Once on the Cloud Billing account, they can create billing projects in Terra by going to Billing from the main navigation menu.
and clicking on the Create button.
Access to Billing information on Google console
Those with admin or owner permission on the Cloud Billing account can also access information like billing reports and cost breakdowns. See Terra expenses and breaking down a Google bill for more details.
Removing users from a Google Cloud Billing account
When to remove someone from your Cloud Billing account
When you no longer want someone to create billing projects or access billing reports and cost breakdowns on Google Cloud, you must remove them from the Billing account on Google Cloud.
To control spend, disable billing on any workspace created by the former user
To learn more, see Best practices for managing shared funding.
1. Start at Billing on Google console (https://console.cloud.google.com/billing).
2. Select the Billing account from the list.
3. Select Manage (at top right) beside "Billing account").
4. Expand the principal role (i.e., Billing Account User) and select the pencil (edit icon) beside the user to remove, then follow the instructions.
What to expect
Once you complete these steps, the removed users cannot create new projects in Terra funded by the Google Cloud Billing account or view cost reports or breakdowns on Google console.
Please sign in to leave a comment.