Because Terra runs on the Google Cloud Platform, all Terra costs, including storage, compute, and data egress, are ultimately billed via Google Billing Accounts.
You will need a Google account to set up a billing account (same Google account you use to log into Terra).f your institution uses G Suite, your account will already be a Google account and you can set up billing under that account. If not, then you can follow these step-by-step instructions to set up a Google account account with a non-Google address.
In order to be compatible with multiple cloud environments, institutional payment systems, and security requirements, the Terra interface does not directly display the Google Developers Console Billing interface. Instead, Terra will connect a Google Billing Account to an associated Terra Billing Project. When using Terra, it is the Terra Billing Projects that you will see in the interface, and to which Terra will charge your usage costs. In order to create or clone a new workspace in Terra, you must have access to at least one Terra Billing Project.
- How to access a Terra billing project
- How to create your own Google Billing Account
- How to add a Terra billing account user to your Google billing account
- How to remove a Terra billing account user
- How to find your Google billing account ID
- How to create a new Terra billing project
- How Terra project OWNERS can change the Google billing account
- Using Terra without a Terra billing project
- Adding users to a Terra billing project
How to access a Terra billing project
- The Owner of an existing Terra Billing Project can authorize you to use their Terra Billing Project. Billing Project Owners should refer to Adding Users to a Terra Billing Project for instructions.
- You can set up a Google Billing Account following the steps directly below for Broad Internal Users or General Public.
Broad internal users
Broad internal users can request a Google Billing Sub-Account to bill Terra usage costs to a Broad Managed Cost Object. A Google Billing Sub-Account will allow you to create Terra Billing Projects. Any charges incurred within these Terra Billing Projects will ultimately be billed to the Broad Managed Cost Object.
Before you request a Google Billing Sub-Account, please speak to your Grant Admin and Primary Investigator (PI) to determine the availability of funding, and to discuss a monthly and total budget for Terra.
Once you are ready to request a Google Billing Sub-Account, please fill out the form at this link.
1. Set up a Google Billing Account, using one of the options below
- Create your own Google Billing Account using a credit card or bank account.
- Talk to your institutional procurement office and see if they have a preferred account set-up method with Google (such as a third party reseller or an existing account).
- Set up a Google Billing Account through a third party reseller. There are many options and two examples are: Onix Networking or Sada Systems. Third party resellers provide additional billing options at no extra cost.
2. Add firstname.lastname@example.org as a Billing Account User to your Google Billing Account
After this, you should be able to create a new Terra Billing Project. See below for more detailed instructions.
How to create your own Google Billing Account
Go to the Google Developers Console Billing page and click on Add billing account. You will need to provide billing information, but can start with Google's free trial that includes $300 in compute and storage credits.
How to add a Terra billing account user to your Google billing account
Please follow these steps to add email@example.com as a Billing Account User to your Google Billing Account.
NOTE: In order to be able to complete the instructions below, you must already be a Billing Account Administrator on the Google billing account. This will automatically be true if you are the person who created the Google billing account. If you are not already a billing account administrator, you should contact someone who is a billing account administrator on the account in question, and ask them to add you. This may be the PI or business administrator in your office, or in certain specific situations it may be someone within a third party billing entity, such as with Terra's free credit accounts, which are administered by Onix.
- Go to the Google Cloud Console page.
- Navigate to the Google project aligned to the Google billing account you will use for Terra. You can do this at the top of the page next to the Google Cloud Platform logo.
- Click Billing from the hamburger menu.
- A new window will open. On the right panel, below "Permissions" and will see "Add Members." Add firstname.lastname@example.org and select the role Billing Account User. Click Add.
How to remove Terra billing account user
Please do not remove the Billing Account User until after you create a Terra Billing Project. To remove the Terra Billing Account User from your account, click on the trash can icon next to email@example.com on your billing account page.
How to find your Google billing account ID
To find Google Billing Account information, navigate to the Google Developers Console Billing page and click on Billing. Look for the number below Billing Account ID.
How Terra project OWNERS can change a project's Google billing account
There are times when you may need to change the Google billing account associated with a billing project in Terra (note that the Terra billing project can be used on many workspaces). An example would be if there was a change to the funding source for the project. If you have OWNER permissions for the project, you can follow the following steps to change the billing account:
1. Go to the Billing page:
2. Select a billing project for which you are an owner from the list on the left hand side of the screen. You will see details.
3. There will be a "change account" button:
4. Click that button, and you will see a list of all the google billing accounts you have access to. Select the one you want to use with the project.
5. Click “OK”
6. Your project is now funded by the chosen account!
How to create a new Terra billing project
After you set up a Google billing account, you can create a new Terra Billing Project through the Billing Management Screen in the Terra UI.
Steps to Create a New Terra Billing Project:
1. In the Terra UI, click on the User Profile drop-down menu and select Billing.
2. Click on Create New Billing Project.
If prompted, Click Here to Enable Billing Permissions, select a Google identity under which you created a Google billing account, and click Allow. This enables Terra to access Google Billing Accounts associated with your Terra account.
3. Enter a unique name for your Terra Billing Project. Then, select the Google Billing Account that you want to tie to your Terra Billing Project, and click OK.
The name of the Terra Billing Project must
only contain lowercase letters, numbers and hyphens;
start with a lowercase letter;
not end with a hyphen;
be between 6 and 30 characters; and
be unique across all Google Billing Projects.
Note: You may see multiple Google Billing Accounts that you can select for this Terra Billing Project. If you need to locate a Google Billing Account ID, navigate to the Google Developers Console and click on Billing. Look for the number below Billing Account ID.
Using Terra without a Terra billing project
You do not necessarily need access to your own Terra Billing Project to use Terra. Tutorial workspaces with open access data will be available to view after your register.
In addition, if a Terra user, such as a collaborator or PI, shares a workspace with you and grants you WRITER access, you can compute within that workspace. All charges incurred for that workspace will be tracked through the workspace owner’s Terra Billing Project.
Adding users to a Terra billing project
When you create a new Terra Billing Project, you are automatically designated as the Owner. If lab or team members want to create or clone new workspaces, you can grant them access to any Terra Billing Project of which you are the Owner. First, your lab and team members must independently register as Terra users.
Refer to the instructions below to manage Billing Project Users and Owners:
1. In the Terra UI, click on the User Profile drop-down menu and select Billing.
2. Click on the Terra Billing Project to which you want to add users. You must be an Owner of that Billing Project to add users.
3. To add a new user, click on Add User… Note that the user must first be registered for Terra.
4. In the pop-up window, enter the user’s Terra email address. The system will add the person as a User by default. if you wish for that person to have greater control, click the checkbox labeled "Owner". Owners can add additional users on this Terra Billing Project. Users can also create workspaces charged to this Billing Project, but can not add other users.