You may want to remove Terra from your Google billing account if you're leaving the platform and want to ensure that there is no possible way to be charged by GCP for any storage or compute associated with Terra. To do this, you will need to do two things:
- Remove Terra as a Billing Account user in GCP
- Disable billing on all Billing Projects created in Terra
This article gives instructions on both steps to dissociate Terra from your GCP billing.
Note that when you do this, you will lose any data stored in workspaces created with those Billing Projects.
Some things to remember about removing/disabling billing
You need to have “Owner” (Billing Account Administrator) permission of the GCP Billing Account in order to follow these instructions.
If you are using STRIDES or third party resellers such as Onix, you may not be able to follow these steps unless you request admin privileges from the third-party reseller (who is the Owner). If you are not able to follow the directions below, or do not see the options in the screenshots, it is likely because you are not the GCP account owner. You will need to ask for admin privileges to disable billing.
Removing Terra as a GCP Billing Account user is not enough to control costs!
To avoid accruing all additional charges, you must disable billing for all Terra Billing Projects created in Terra.Note that this will disable billing for all your existing Terra workspaces.
We repeat - Users can still run workflows and notebooks even after you remove Terra from the billing account!!
Remove Terra as a billing account user in your GCP account (step-by-step)
This step ensures that no one can create a Terra Billing Project funded by the GCP Billing Account.
- Go to the Google Cloud Console and choose the billing project you want to remove (see screenshot below. Note that free credits accounts start with “fccredits-xxx-xxx-xxxx.”)
- Click to expand the "Billing Account User" menu on the bottom right and delete firstname.lastname@example.org by clicking on the trashcan icon:
To make sure the transition was successful, log back into the console following the steps above and make sure email@example.com is not listed as a user in the billing account.
Disabling billing projects - step-by-step instructions
To be completely sure you will not be accruing charges in workspaces you created in Terra, you will need to disable billing for all Terra Billing Projects. You will do this in GCP console, and it will take effect immediately. You need to be the GCP Billing Account Owner or Administrator to follow these steps.
- Go to the Google Cloud Console at https://console.cloud.google.com/home (logged in as a user who has admin or owner privileges in the Billing Account where you’re trying to control spending):
- Go to Billing overview:
- Select “Account Management” from the bottom left:
- You will see all projects created under this Billing Account, no matter what user created it. Click on the three vertical dots beside the billing project you want to disable and select “Disable”:
Once you disable billing, users won't be able to start a workflow or notebook in any workspace created with this project effective immediately.